According to Ayurveda, the heart is the home for all life and happiness.
Nutrient and oxygen-rich blood constantly flows through physical heart. A key factor in immunity, ojas, is produced in heart. Emotions are processed through the energetic heart. And the heart is seat of the soul and source of creative inspiration.
The heart is your treasure chest.
In addressing heart health, Ayurveda recognizes the heart’s physical and emotional aspects. All three doshas (vata, pitta and kapha) relate to the heart’s form and function.
Avalambaka kapha governs the heart’s structure and strength. Basically, the heart’s structure is made of plumbing pipes and electrical wires. In order for the heart to best pump blood, the heart’s muscle and channels (veins and arteries) need to be strong and clear.
The heart naturally moves in a steady rhythm, with sacred space stored between each heartbeat. To help maintain a steady cadence, vata dosha in heart (vyana vayu) needs to be stable. To enjoy peace of heart, sadhaka pitta (function of processing emotions) must be balanced.
Supporting and Nourishing the Heart
The right exercise, foods, relationships, lifestyle and creative activities support and nourish the heart. Tips to improve heart health:
1. We all know the importance of regular moderate cardio exercise. Running used to be my thing. I now walk/hike 3-5 times a week, for 45-60 minutes. On days when my schedule is full, I opt for 30-minute session. This routine feels right for my heart. Consult with your health/fitness expert for what’s best for your ticker.
2. Favor fresh organic foods, with a diet primarily based in vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and healthy fats. Some dairy is good for vata body types. Cooked foods are optimal.
3. Avoid fast food and processed foods. Minimize (or avoid) leftovers, heavy fatty meats, alcohol, and caffeine. It’s best to eat according to one’s primary dosha and the seasons. Consult with me for your perfect meal plan.
4. Surround yourself with healthy relationships! Hug the positive. Shrug the negative. Seek company of folks who are honest, kind, calm and inspiring. My touchstones for heart healthy relationships: kindness, authenticity, and humor.
5. Follow an Ayurvedic lifestyle that reflects your natural constitution and addresses current body/mind imbalances. Consult with me and I’ll design you an easy, effective and enjoyable Ayurvedic daily routine you can effortlessly integrate into your daily routine.
6. Nourish the heart by enjoying daily moments of creative fun. Create art, pen poems, bake cookies, grow gardens, doodle flowers, paint pictures, compose songs, or write love notes on lunchbox napkins. Be creative. Whatever you create from a space of wonder and joy will adorn your heart with health and happiness.
Ayurvedic Yoga suggestions for creating a healthy and happy heart
Yoga: Reclining spinal twist, followed by supported bridge pose. Visualize smooth flow of blood in heart’s chambers and along the arteries and veins.
Pranayama: Bumblebee Breath. Learn how to get a buzz at my website.
Fall in love with a few of these suggestions, and do them daily. Self-care is the best stoke for happy and healthy heart glow!
Shared by Kellen Brugman. Kellen is a Certified Ayurveda Lifestyle Counselor, Holistic Wellness Coach and yoga teacher. She shares her valuable knowledge by consulting, guiding and inspiring others to create holistic well-Being plans that provide lifelong health and happiness returns. You can join Kellen in her weekly class Awaken with Ayurveda Fridays @ 7:30am. Kellen also offers various workshops and 1:1 work at The Space.