Updated: Jan 14
Kitchari means mixture, usually of basmati rice and yellow mung dal. This tasty dish is nourishing, and easy to digest. I like to combine eastern and western spices for a special mix of savory flavors.
I call it Songwriter's Kitchari, because I've made it for some of Nashville's best songwriter's (Emmylou Harris, Rodney Crowell, Will Jennings, Kieran Kane) and they call it a "hit". Hope y'all enjoy it!!
1/2 cup 1 cup 5-6 cups 1⁄2-1 inch 1 tsp 1/2 tsp. 1/2 tsp.
1/2 tsp. 1/2 tsp. 1/8 tsp. 1-2 1 pinch About 3 cups Assorted seasonal vegetables* Handful Fresh Cilantro Leaves to garnish
White Basmati Rice Mung Dal (organic split yellow) Water Ginger Root, chop or grate Mineral Salt Ajwan Seeds Mustard Seeds
Marjoram Thyme Cayenne Bay Leaves Asafoetida (Hing)
*Avoid eggplant, tomatoes, spinach, onion. I love using carrots, celery, zucchini, yams, peas, potatoes, and greens like chard or kale.
Note: Spice measurements are suggestions. Increase/decrease amount based on your taste. Add salt and pepper to dish after serving, to taste.
1. Sort through rice and dal to remove any stones.
2. Separately rinse each in strainer for about minute under water.
3. In a large stainless steel pot, sauté hing, cayenne, and mustard seeds, until mustard seeds pop. Add other spices.
4. Add mung dal. Sauté for 1-2 minutes.
5. Add water. For thicker stew, use less water. Bring to boil. Simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Add rice and vegetables.
7. Return water to boil, then simmer for 15-20 minutes with lid on pot. Cook until rice and vegetables are fully cooked. There should be minimal water in pot.
Serve with naan bread or chapatis.
Rice can be cooked separately. Then serve dal and veggies over rice.
Leftover tip: For an easy lunch the next day, make kitchari burritos. Yum! Note: In order to enjoy the maximum flavor and nutrition, consume kitchari within 2 days.
Shared by Kellen Brugman. Kellen is a Certified Ayurveda Lifestyle Counselor, Holistic Wellness Coach and yoga teacher. She shares her valuable knowledge by consulting, guiding and inspiring others to create holistic well-Being plans that provide lifelong health and happiness returns. You can join Kellen in her weekly class Awaken with Ayurveda Fridays @ 7:30am. Kellen also offers various workshops and 1:1 work at The Space.